Saturday, August 23, 2008

Part 2

ULTRA BREAKFAST



I decided to get out on the town pretty early (I've been waking up at like 6am every day, for some reason). I stroll down Grafton Street (Sort of the equivalent of Queen Street in Brisbane), and bump into a girl selling scratchie cards to raise support and funds for Alcoholism in Ireland (good luck with that). She wins me over by saying 'It's okay to have a couple of drinks, but..' She probably thinks I'm hungover. I have a habit of looking hungover alot of the time.

Over here, Hungry Jacks is called Burger King like the rest of the world. I think we're the odd one out. I get my first fast food of my trip...



And scratch the scratch card. Zip... Nada... Nothing.



I have to head back up Grafton Street and she sees me coming from a mile away, somehow suckering me into buying 2 more cards with the same result. Feeling a bit lighter in the pocket, I decide to drink my sorrows away at a pub in Temple Bar (not actually a bar, but a small suburb in the city). Take that, alcoholism!



I'm still that lame guy that sits in the corner of the bar and reads 'The Silence of the Lambs'. 'Is he going to kill us all?' I don't hear anybody ask.

I snap a couple of shots of Dublin on my way to the DART train station.



The first is what used to be Ireland's first Parliament house, but is now a large bank. The second photo is a random church that I don't know the name of- That particular style and architechture is fairly typical.

I was recommended to take the train out to a place called Dalkey. It's very pretty, a little village with only a couple of streets. I won't bore with all the details..







I finish the day at Finnegan's pub, with a couple of pints of Smithwick's (Pronounced Smiddicks if you wan't to pretend to be local). Useful tip: Alot of Irish beers are really heavy, and a pint can substitute a full meal if needs be (If that poor scratchie girl ever finds this blog, she's going to have a heartattack).



I get some Z's and it's now 6:30am on Saturday, my last full day in Dublin. Today I have the wedding (my getup is very James Bond, if I may) and tomorrow I meet up with Cal, Evan and Luke in Daresbury.

No comments: